This makes a lot of sense since the mushrooms are growing on top of an old oak stump under our porch.
The beautiful spirals on the caps are probably caused by heavy rain followed by unusually dry and warm weather conditions.
The oak root fungus is among the most variable and global of fleshy fungi. It is also very edible.
My husband and I would never eat any mushrooms that weren’t purchased at a grocery store or without a mycologist’s positive ID from a spore print under a microscope.
Better safe (and alive) than sorry (having a liver transplant).
When the men on the chessboard
get up and tell you where to go,
And you've just had some kind of mushroom,
and your mind is moving slow,
Go ask Alice, I think she'll know.
– Grace Slick